E-PHASE-Electronic Piano with Haptic And Spatial Enhancements
- E-PHASE-Electronic Piano with Haptic And Spatial Enhancements
- Starting date
- January 1, 2009
- Duration (months)
- Managers or local contacts
- Sound and music computing, Physical modelling, Haptic synthesis, Sound field reproduction, Perceptual measurement.
A joint cooperation with Viscount SpA is proposed, to enhance the physics-based real-time piano model developed at the Dipartimento di Informatica of the University of Verona, currently in final engineering state. In spite of the excellent quality, its design philosophy still reflects a traditional viewpoint centred around the fidelity of generated sounds. We propose to introduce a major paradigm shift by means of which the digital piano is designed not only to provide high-quality
sounds to listeners, but, additionally, a more involving experience for the player. This shift requires to identify, model, synthesize, and finally validate a number of effects which affect the player during performance, at the same time being irrelevant to the listeners. In particular the project will focus on:
- the haptic simulation of tactile feedback through the piano keys;
- the spatial sound field reproduction as it is perceived at the player’s standpoint.
Funds: assigned and managed by the department
Syllabus: Joint Projects 2008
CSS e script comuni siti DOL - frase 9957