New DNA sequencing technologies allow incredibly fast and detailed genomic analyses and in deep investigations on genetic variability in terms of sequence and gene expression of living organisms. The research team proposing this project, together with the private partner, IGA, has been involved, and still is, in the Italian-French Initiative for sequencing and functional characterization of grape genome.
The present project, through the use of the new generation ILLUMINA sequencer Genome Analyzer II (GAII,) recently installed in Udine as the first one in Italy, aims at:
- integration of competences in structural and functional genomics;
- development of bio-informatic tools for the analysis of DNA and RNA sequencing data;
- identification and analysis of structural variability in different species, varieties and clones of the Vitis genus;
- analysis of gene expression in different species, varieties and clones of the Vitis genus;
- integration of data on structural variability with gene expression data, to define in molecular terms phenotypic differences among genotypes.