The goal of the course is to learn the main concepts of General Chemistry.
The following topics will be considered:
Chemical and physical phenomena. Fundamental laws of Chemistry. Atomic structure of matter. Periodic properties. Chemical reactions. Stoichiometry. Gases, solids, liquids. The chemical bond. Thermochemistry and thermodynamics. Phase diagrams and properties of solutions. Chemical kinetics. Chemical equilibrium. Equilibria in acqueous solutions. Electrochemistry.
The course should precede Organic Chemistry.
- Introduction, properties, measurements and their units
- Elements, atoms and compounds
- Nomenclature of inorganic compounds
- Types of reactions: precipitations, acids and bases, redox
- General principles of stoichiometry
- Termochemistry: internal energy, enthalpy, reaction enthalpies
- Atomic structure
- Periodic properties: atomic and ionic radii, ionization energy, electronic affinity, electronegativity
- Covalent bond
- Polarity of the bonds
- Molecular shape: VSEPR theory
- Van der Waals forces
- Properties of liquids
- Properties of solids
- Solutions; concentrations
- Colligative properties
- Chemical kinetics; reaction mechanisms
- Chemical equilibria
- Acids and bases and their solutions; hydrolysis; buffer solutions
- Spontaneous reactions; free energy
- Electrochemical cells
The examination consists of a written part and of an oral part.
Strada le Grazie 15
VAT number 01541040232
Italian Fiscal Code 93009870234
© 2021 | Verona University | Credits