The course is meant to the acquisition of the main theoretical and practical tools that are necessary for signal and image processing. In particular the course focuses on Fourier (time/frequency) analysis, linear time-invariant systems and digital filtering. The whole pipeline from signal and image acquisition will be considered, and the main theorethical and practical aspects will be treated.
Laboratory sessions will be organized in order to "put in practice" what is treated in the course covering the entire pipeline in order to provide the student a complete view on the pipeline as well as good desing and implementation capabilities.
- Introduction to image processing
- Fourier Transform (continuous time, Fourier series, discrete time, discrete Fourier transform (DFT), FFT) in one dimension
- Fourier Transform (continuous time, Fourier series, discrete time, discrete Fourier transform (DFT), FFT) in two dimensions
- The acquisition pipeline (sampling, quantization)
- Fourier Transform (Fourier series, continuous FT, discrete time FT, discrete FT, FFT, DCT)
- Signal and Image filtering (low-pass, high pass, linear and non linear)
- Image enhancement (in both spatial and frequency domain)
- Edge detection (in spatial and frequency domain)
- Region-based processing (in spatial and frequency domain)
- Morphological operators
- Color imaging
- Image segmentation (edge-based, region-based)
- Elements of pattern recognition
Oral or written with evaluation of Lab sessions.