|Unit||Credits||Academic sector||Period||Academic staff|
|BASI DI DATI PER BIOINFORMATICA||6||INF/01-INFORMATICS||I semestre||
|RICONOSCIMENTO E RECUPERO DELL'INFORMAZIONE PER BIOINFORMATICA||6||INF/01-INFORMATICS||See the unit page||See the unit page|
The course is aimed at providing the theoretical and applicative basis of tools and techniques for the management and the retrieval of biological data; in particular the course is focused on topics linked to Pattern Recognition and Databases. For more details please refer to the specific objectives of the two modules.
See the program of the two modules.
To pass the exam, the students must show that:
- they have the capability of clearly and concisely describe the different components of a Pattern Recognition System
- they have the capability of analise, understand and describe a Pattern Recognition system (or a given part of it) relative to a biological problem
- they have understood the concepts related to the theory of relational databases and their design;
- they are able to describe the concepts in a clear and exhaustive way;
- they are able to apply the acquired knowledge to solve application scenarios described by means of questions and exercises.
The exam of Data management and retrieval for bioinformatics consists of two parts:
i) a written exam of containing questions on topics presented during the course (15 points available). The (i) written part is passed is the grade is greater or equal to 9;
ii) a written exam of Databases for bioinformatics containing some questions about theory concepts, an exercise about the conceptual modeling (using the E-R model) and the logical modeling (using the relational model) of a database, and some exercises about the specification of queries in relational algebra on a given database (15 points available). The (ii) written part is passed is the grade is greater or equal to 9;
The two parts of the exam can be passed separately: the final grade is the sum of the two grades.
The total exam is passed if each of the two grades is greater or equal to 9. Each evaluation is maintained valid for the whole academic year.
|Paolo Atzeni, Stefano Ceri, Piero Fraternali, Stefano Paraboschi, Riccardo Torlone||Basi di dati (Edizione 5)||McGraw Hill||2018||9788838694455|