This course has the objective to provide the students with the concepts and methodologies for the design and implementation of geographical and multimedia databases. In particular:
- A methodology for the conceptual modelling of a geographical database in GeoUML will be presented. GeoUML is a conceptual model for the design of spatial databases compatible with the ISO standards 19100.
- The mappings of a GeoUML conceptual schema onto geo-relational databases will be illustrated. Moreover, an extended version of the relational algebra for quering a geo-relational database will be analyzed.
The program includes:
- object oriented databases: ODMG, ODL and OQL standards
- conceptual modelling of an object oriented databases in UML and mapping a UML class diagram to ODL
- multimedia databases: representation, management and querying multimedia datasets
- geographical databases: spatial data characteristics and spatial relations
- conceptual modelling of geographical databases: the GeoUML model.
- logical modelling of geographical databases: mapping rules from GeoUML towards geo-relational models (Simple Feature Specification of OGC)
- query languages for geographical databases: a geo-relational algebra.
|P. Atzeni, S. Ceri, P. Fraternali, S. Paraboschi, R. Torlone||Basi di dati: architetture e linee di evoluzione (Edizione 2)||McGraw-Hill||2007||978-88-386-6370-3|
|M. F. Worboys||GIS: A Computing Perspective (Edizione 1)||Taylor & Francis||1995||0748400656|
|Lynne Dunckley||Multimedia Databases:An Object Relational Approach||Addison-Wesley||2002||0201788993|
|P. Rigaux, M. Scholl and A. Voisard||Spatial Databases with Application to GIS||Morgan Kaufmann|
|R. G. G. Cattell||The Object Data Standard: ODMG 3.0||Morgan Kaufmann||2000||1-55860-64|
The exam is composed of a single written test.