|Wednesday||8:30 AM - 11:30 AM||lesson||Lecture Hall B|
|Thursday||8:30 AM - 11:30 AM||laboratorio||Laboratory Alfa|
This class aims at providing the fundamental knowledge for the design, implementation, development, management, and maintenance of hardware and software systems in biotechnological labs, both for research and production, as well as clinical labs. Starting from actual case studies, the main related topics are highlighted; then, each of them is addressed in detail from both theoretical and practical perspectives. Finally, presentations with external speakers allow to meet companies and institutions which use this knowledge.
Communications among systems
- Sensor networks
- Machine-to-machine communications (M2M)
Methods and devices for data acquisition, storage, and visualization
- Acquisition, calibration and errors
- Storage formats
- Storage devices
- Data visualization
Methods for automatic traceability
- Application scenarios
- Identification methods: bar codes, RFID, Active wireless tags
- Architecture of a system for automatic traceability
- Tools for network analysis
- Communications through Java
- Machine-to-machine communications through a middleware layer.
- Visualization tools
- Example of biotech process automation (E-Wine and E-Flour projects)
- Example of biotech lab automation
- Machine virtualization and Linux setup.
Must-have: Introduction to computer architecture and operating systems, Introduction to programming
Prerequisites: Database systems for bioinformatics
|John L. Hennessy, David A. Patterson||Computer Architecture - A Quantitative Approach (Edizione 5)||Morgan Kaufmann||2011||012383872X|
|C. Hamacher, Z. Vranesic, S. Zaky, N. Manjikian||Introduzione all'architettura dei calcolatori (Edizione 1)||McGraw-Hill||2012||9788838667510|
|Andrew S. Tanenbaum||Reti di calcolatori (Edizione 4)||Pearson - Prentice Hall||2003||8871921828|
The examination consists of:
1) written test with questions about the theory and practice part of the class
- Bibliographic research (max 2 points, max 2 people)
- Experimental activity (max 3 points, max 3 people)
Students from Computer Science Degree cannot use this class as "crediti D".
Updated list of titles on the teacher's web page.
For the project, synergies are possibles with other classes, stage and thesis.
The final result (over 30 points) is computed by summing the result of both the written test and the project.